Sunday, January 28, 2007

January 26, 2007 - Chopper Goes to Hollywood

Now, what kind of pet owners would we be if we went away to California and didn't bring Chopper with us? I found a pet friendly hotel, and while Brian worked, Chopper and I saw the sights!

For breakfast, Brian and I found this bakery, Porto's, near our his studio. The bakery was phenomenal. I asked Brian to go in and pick out a few things for us to share, while I watched Chopper outside. He came out after about 10 minutes and said, "This place is amazing. You have to go in." I was floored. The place is huge, and they have so many gorgeous things! It also smells fantastic. I chose a Spinach Feta Croissant, a Apricot Cheese Croissant, and this beautiful three chocolate mousse pyramid. Even with both our coffees, the breakfast cost us only $8! And, wow, it was wonderful. I noticed that they had some Cuban dishes, so we decided to go back on Saturday, but you can see more of that in the next post.












Chopper and I spent most of the morning exploring Burbank and North Hollywood. Brian's studio is an a residential area, so I checked out some of the neighborhood. I've never seen such tiny houses! I looked up the real estate when I got home, and I could NOT believe that these houses, smaller than our condo, go for $750,000+. I know Cali is expensive, but wow.

I took a short break and picked up some snacks in the hotel room vending machine. I go with my favorite sour cream and cheddar chips, but I also try this "Lesser Evil" Brand Black and White Kettle Corn.









After I refuel, Chopper and I head out to check out the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Sunset Blvd. Here's Chopper posing by the star of one of his idols.


Chopper and I also had one of our scariest moments together. As we were walking past a store, a Rottweiler ran out and went right for Chopper. I had to grab him and pick him up and hold him up by my shoulders, as the dog tried to bite him on his hind legs! She had her leash on, so either her owner let her be loose or she pulled away. The owner came running out of the store, and she and these two guys tried to restrain the dog and finally got her back inside. Chopper was panicking, and so was I. The owner tried to apologize and said, "She's just playing, she'd never hurt another dog. She loves small dogs." Which, believe it or not, I've heard that from other dog owners as well. The bottom line is, you might think your dog is friendly and fine, but if my little dog feels threatened, and barks or tries to attack your dog, how can yo
u be sure how your dog will react? A big dog like that could kill Chopper easily. Bite his head right off. I told her, "But, if my dog is scared, I don't know what he might do that could upset her." I think she understood, said she was sorry, and went inside after the two guys and her dog. As I was calming down and soothing Chopper, a passer-by that saw the whole thing said to me, "That was some bullshit. I was scared to death." I told her I was too. And we went on our way. Luckily, Chopper wasn't hurt at all, and only my pride was hurt, as in rescuing Chopper and holding him up high, I managed to bunch up my t-shirt up over my bra, showing all my business to Hollywood and Vine. In all the commotion, I'm not sure too many people noticed. Let's all pretend no one noticed.

Chopper and I found some sanctuary for a late lunch at The Cat and Fiddle Pub. They have a large patio and don't mind if you bring your dog in. The service was great, and the people were really friendly. Chopper made a lot of new friends! But, I was disappointed with the food. I got the soup of the day, Shrimp Bisque, which was really pale and floury. And, I had a spinach salad on the side, which was fine, I guess. The only thing was the menu said it was a spinach salad with new potatoes and feta, but I got more of a Cobb Salad, with eggs and bacon on it, which I don't eat. So, I picked all that stuff off. Otherwise, it was good. I wanted to come back the next day to give some other items a try, but we didn't get a chance. I want to go back on our next trip.
Chopper and I were pretty tired after all that walking around and excitement and had to take a break back in the hotel room. Chopper says, "Relax."

Brian got done with taping, and brought me home some food from Carl's Jr. (AKA Hardee's in some parts of the country.) Here's my chicken swiss sandwich and fries.







2 comments:

Martin said...

That was the best post. I can't tell you how many times I've been to Cat and Fiddle. It was our main hangout at Virgin Entertainment Group. I tasted a scotch egg there. I'll never taste a scotch egg again. I used to live around the corner from the Lassie star.

Chopper looks so cute sleeping!

Shaun said...

Thanks! Cat and Fiddle was okay. I think maybe I should have ordered fish and chips or something. I hope I get to go back another time. They were really nice there.
Chopper was great! He got so much attention from people.